The butterfly garden is exploding with life at Community Learning Center! Here are some recent pictures of the monarch caterpillars and a recently hatched monarch butterfly in the garden. See the cool pictures below!
Here are some fun facts about monarchs:
- Monarch caterpillars only eat milkweed.
- They live for about 6 to 8 months.
- Eastern monarchs overwinter in Central Mexico
- Females lay between 300 and 500 eggs.
- The caterpillars eat for about 2 weeks before turning into a cocoon!
- Monarch butterflies that hatch in the late summer or early fall head for warmer weather. Ours head for Central Mexico!
- There are four generations of monarchs born each year.
- The generation of monarchs that migrate live for several months so that they can make the journey back.
- It takes about two weeks for a monarch to hatch from its cocoon to complete its transformation to a butterfly!
- Monarch butterflies will drink nectar from flowers, including milkweed.